The Sanctuary of the Virgin of Montserrat is more than a place of worship; it has always symbolized the identity of the Catalan people. First at all we will visit the Sanctuary, we will understand what it represents for Catalan people, we will learn about the Benedictine monks, and it is a must to greet the Black Madonna, Female Patroness Saint of Catalonia.
But, when we go up to the mountain it is not only for spiritual reasons, but to be in contact with the natural reserve as well. We will reach the very top of the mountain by funicular to go hiking following an easy path to see the magnificent views: the Pyrenees Mountains (border with France) and to admire the peculiar shapes of Montserrat, reason of its name. (If hiking is not for you, we can visit the museum of Art; to stop for a coffee; or to taste the typical home made food at the Farmers’ market as “Mel i Mató”).
Finally we will listen to the boys’ choir (the oldest choir in Europe).
On our return journey, we can do the last part of our trip by taking the cable car or the rack railway.
- Tour Price 6h with my private car (up to 4p. + me): € 470
- Tour Price 6h by Chauffeured Mercedes (up to 6 p. + me + driver): € 655
Duration: 6 hours
Recommended Start time:
08.30a.m. or 2:30p.m.
- Tour details (click here) »»
Extend this tour by 2/3 hours to eat in a typical Catalan restaurant and to do one of these activities:
– to visit the Güell’s Crypt (a lovely work of Gaudi 25 minutes away from Barcelona).
– to visit a familiar champagne winery (called cava)
– to take a hot-air balloon and to see the surroundings of Montserrat from the air.