The first Champagne bottle in Spain was produced in 1872. Today the champagne produced in Spain is called Cava. In the Penedés and the Anoia area there are several Cava companies, which make almost all of the Champagne produced in Spain. In fact the little village of Sant Sadurní d’Anoia, where we will go, is the so-called “the capital of the Cava”.
The biggest companies are Codorniu and Freixenet. Both together produce more than 200 millions of bottles per year, but we will visit a small and familiar cellar, founded in 1924. They still produce their cava through a handmade process. Visits are limited to a maximum of 12 people and frequently their visits are only for us.
We will understand the ageing process of the “Cava”. We will see how, manually, they disgorge the bottles without freezing the bottleneck (only experienced professionals are able to do that). We will visit the Pupitres (special racks) where the hand-riddling is done.
You will taste 3 long-aged brut nature Cavas (65, 95 and 100 month).
- Tour Price 5h with my private car (up to 4p. + me): € 420
- Tour Price 5h by chauffeured Mercedes (up to 6 p. + me + driver): € 550
Duration: 5 hours
Recommended Start time: 09.30a.m.
- Tour details (click here) »»
Extend this tour to eat in a typical Catalan Restaurant and to see one of these options:
– the abbey of Montserrat (Total cost by car 8H: 620€).
– the village of Sitges (we can have a meal in front of the sea – Total cost by car 8H: 620€).
– a chocolate factory (6 hours cava + chocolate factory).